Privacy & Cookies
Peter Christian is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Peter Christian may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 8th March 2021.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- Contact information including email address
- Payment card details - By checking out, you consent to your card being vaulted for payment management and/or order fulfilment purposes. You can manage/remove your card at any time after your order is fulfilled.
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
What we do with the information
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
Our communications are designed to tell you about the benefits we can offer, so that you have exclusive access to our best deals. We use the information we have about you to tailor the content and try to ensure that the offers are as relevant to you as possible. If you would prefer us not to use your information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (631) 621-5255.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) is a widely accepted set of policies and procedures intended to optimize the security of credit, debit and cash card transactions and protect cardholders against misuse of their personal information. In order for the electronic storage of cardholder data to be PCI compliant, appropriate encryption must be applied to the primary account number. For ease and speed of shopping at Peter Christian, we store encrypted card details in full compliance with PCI. We cannot see the card details because they are stored on an encrypted server that renders the data in an unreadable format.
A cookie is a small file which can be placed on your computer's hard drive. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences. Cookies help us to let us know when you visit our website, keep track of how you use the shopping basket, and analyze web traffic.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
3 groups of cookies are used on the Peter Christian website:
- Peter Christian session cookie (expires at the end of the session) - this is used for transactional purposes to remember the content of the customers' shopping cart as they browse around the site. More information about session cookies.
- Google Analytics cookies - these are used to help understand customer behavior and the performance of the website. For example how many customers visit the site, how long they spend on the site, what devices are used for browsing, which other websites link to the Peter Christian website and how our marketing campaigns are performing. Google cookies currently last up to 1000 days. More information about Google cookies.
- Other third-party cookies - these may be used to help us and our advertisers to deliver advertisements (both on this website and elsewhere) which are relevant to you and your interests. They can also remember that you have visited our website, limit the number of times you see an advertisement and help measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. They can monitor and record your activity across a number of websites within a network. These cookies can remember that you have visited a website and this information (together with the other information collected) may be shared with other organizations such as advertisers in the advertising network to enable them to create a profile of your interests.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes.
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us.
You agree that we may use personal information provided by you in order to conduct appropriate anti-fraud checks. Personal information that you provide may be disclosed to a credit reference or fraud prevention agency, which may keep a record of that information.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
We work with Epsilon Abacus (registered as Epsilon International UK Ltd), a company that manages the Abacus Alliance on behalf of UK retailers. The participating retailers are active in the clothing, collectibles, food & wine, gardening, gadgets & entertainment, health & beauty, household goods, and home interiors categories. They share information on what their customers buy. Epsilon Abacus analyzes this pooled information to understand consumer's wider buying patterns. From this information, retailers can tailor their communications, sending people suitable offers that should be of interest to them, based on what they like to buy.
Please note that Epsilon Abacus may transfer data outside the European Economic Area (EEA). The transfer will take place in the presence of appropriate safeguards, including standard data protection clauses adopted by the EU Commission. If you would like more information, please email us at email@example.com.
We may also share your name and postal address directly with other trusted retailers in the clothing, collectables, food & wine, gardening, gadgets & entertainment, health & beauty, household goods, home interiors sectors and UK charities. If data is shared it is done so on a one time only basis and that company or organization is not entitled to store your data for further use unless you engage with them.
If you do not wish us to share this information please tick the appropriate box when ordering, or to update your preference at any time call us on (631) 621-5255 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you in compliance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to us.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.